[orca-list] ponctuation pronunciation and pauses

Hi,
I have orca 2.21, espeak 1.31, speech-dispatcher 0.6.6 and ubuntu 7.10.
1. When I select speech-dispatcher backend (speech system combo box), some
ponctuation signs are talked in a different way.
For example: slash is stroke; backslash is backstroke; instead of saying
left parenthesis it says lparenthesis or something like that.
If I use Speech Dispatcher Gnome Speech driver, this "problem" doesn't
happen.
How can I solve this?
2. In speech-dispatcher backend, there are some pauses between speech which
I'd like to remove. For example, in gnome-terminal's prompt it says:
user'sname    <a short pause>@<a short pause> desktop $.
How can I solve this?

Thanks

Best regards