Re: [orca-list] ponctuation pronunciation and pauses

On 29 Feb, Sérgio Neves <sergionevess gmail com> wrote:

I have orca 2.21, espeak 1.31, speech-dispatcher 0.6.6 and ubuntu
7.10. 1. When I select speech-dispatcher backend (speech system combo
box), some ponctuation signs are talked in a different way. For
example: slash is stroke; backslash is backstroke; instead of saying
left parenthesis it says lparenthesis or something like that.

These are the names of the punctuation characters which are in eSpeak.

"l-bracket" is changed to "left-bracket" in the next version (1.32)
which I expect to be released in a few days.

You want to change "stroke" and "backstroke" to "slash" and
"backslash"?  That sounds a bit violent.

The "American" voice usually says "slash" and the "British" voice says
"stroke".  But when you are using the "speak punctuation" mode, they
both say "stroke".  This is an error, which I'll fix for version 1.32.

It's possible to change it if you want.

1.  Download the espeak-1.31-source.zip from
http://espeak.sourceforge.net/

2.  Get the directory "dictsource" from that archive.

3.  Edit the file "en_list" in the "dictsource" directory.
Delete the following two lines in the "Character names" section near
the start of the file.

_/    stroUk

_\\   bakstroUk

Without these lines, then the (correct) pronunciations which given at
the end of the en_rules file will be used.

4. Then, using the command-line, inside the "dictsource" directory, do:
  sudo  espeak --compile=en