[orca-list] Upgrading gnome/orca - 2.22

I'm trying to upgrade atk. I've gotten the sources from svn, but when I try and do autogen.sh, it tells me that I need gtk-doc version 1.0. Ubuntu doesn't know about this, so I got the sources and built and installed with make install.

Going back to the atk sources and rerunning autogen.sh produces the exact same complaint -- it still thinks I need gtk-doc.

Why wasn't this fetched when I did apt-get build-dep atk?
Why is it still complaining after I built and installed by hand?

Thanx much in advance.
-- Rich