Re: [orca-list] screenreader for ubuntu's console.

The main problems with speakup, emacspeak and yasr are

Speakup is a kernel patch set, therefore the kernel has to be recompiled
in order for it to run.

Emacspeak is a speech extension to a text editor that runs its own
programs and can run a shell, but it can be a daunting task to learn,
especially since it presents itself entirely differently from either
gnome or the Linux console. I actually haven't really learned it myself
at this time, although I did try at one point.

YASR is a pretty cool console screen reader that runs as a user process
rather than running from the kernel, but the problem is the way it runs.
YASR runs from a subshell under your login shell, so you have to login
first before you can run it. Furthermore, it only runs in a single
console, so if you need to run more than one console to do multiple
tasks, you will need to run YASR in each individual console where you
will be using it. That being said, I have communicated in the past with
the developer of YASR in an attempt to make it a background process that
can run system-wide, and there is a program that should be able to read
the login screen, but I couldn't help much because the code used
functions specific to Solaris I think, and I couldn't quite figure out
how to change it to run in Linux. If anyone could help with making YASR
a background process that could either run from an init script or from
rc.local or similar, I am pretty sure that the developer is aggreeable
from talking with him. The most important thing would be to keep it
portable to as many operating systems as possible.

HTH,
Lorenzo
--
Make a change. Make a difference.