Re: [orca-list] special characters

Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:26:10 -0500
From: William Walker Sun COM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] special characters

Hi:

In your ~/.orca/orca-customizations.py (create one if you don't have
one) file, you might try something like:

import orca.chnames
orca.chnames.chnames[u'\u2013'] = "short dash"

That did the trick.  Thank you.

I was close when I was playing around with it earlier.  My problem was, I copied the format from the
chnames.py file and said:

orca.chnames.chnames[u'\u2013'] = _("short dash")

I was a little confused when i first saw the underscore and parenthases.  It never occured to me to just
strip them out (is there some special significance to the underscore and parenthases in python?).

I tried this by making "a" map to "monkey" (I have a fascination with
monkeys), and it seemed to work for me.

Honestly, who doesn't like monkeys? :-)

I do have a follow up question.

I only found a couple of special characters that I encounter on a speratic basis that orca didn't already
have a entry for.  But what about (in the very unlikely event) that I run into a special character in a
doccument that isn't automatically recognized by orca?  I noticed that there is no speech output for unknown
characters.  Is there a way to obtain the unicode value of unidentified characters like there is in JAWS?

To me it seems this could be done in the getCharacterName() function.  instead of returning character after
the try block, it could return something like "character u+#### hex".  So the user could at least look up the
unicode table and find out what the character is supposed to be.

Is this a feature that already exists somewhere else in orca that I haven't found yet?

Thank you and sorry for the lengthy post.

http://biggestloser.msn.com/