Re: [orca-list] special characters

Hi:

In your ~/.orca/orca-customizations.py (create one if you don't have one) file, you might try something like:

import orca.chnames
orca.chnames.chnames[u'\u2013'] = "short dash"

I tried this by making "a" map to "monkey" (I have a fascination with monkeys), and it seemed to work for me.

Hope this helps!

Will

aerospace1028 hotmail com wrote:
        greetings all,
While poking around the python modules related to orca, I found the chnames.py file (located at
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/orca/chnames.py).  I am wondering what is the recommended method for
altering the chnames array.  For example, in the chnames file I found:

chnames[u'\u2013'] = _("en dash")

My personal preffrence is for "short dash" instead of "en dash."  Also the chnames.py file does not have an entry for U+2014
(typically designated "em dash" or what I like to call "long dash").

Is there a way to modify the names orca gives to unicode characters (prefferably in the
orca-customizations.py file)?  I realize I could manually edit the chnames.py file, but I was saving that for
a last resort.

Thank you:-)