Re: [orca-list] developing orca

Hi Daniel,

We've also started Orca scripts for applications like rhythmbox and
planner.

Yes! I want to get planner accessible so I want to help there. I was wanting to use it myself.
BTW, could a windows user read my saved planner file and modify it?

I don't know. I suggest asking a question on the planer
users mailing list.

See:

for more details.

What would be extremely useful is for somebody to take these applications
for a drive and report on accessibility/usability problems. If you can
file
bugs in GNOME Bugzilla (against product Orca initially) on the problems
you
find, that would be even better.

Sure!
I will. Just give me a few days to catch up on work and stuff. I have been away for the weekend...
Sorry about the delay in answering too.

No problem (on either count).

But I will. Hopefully my last two bug reports have been ok.
(The password one you commented on and another one about the gnome version dialog.)

Yes they have, thanks.

Ok then. Sounds good to me. So how does orca know what script to load? Does it just load applicationname.py or something?

That's basically it. There is a method called _getScript in
focus_tracking_presenter.py (around line 269 in the latest
sources from SVN trunk). It looks in a couple of places.
The Firefox and OpenOffice people feel the need to keep
changing their application names, so there is also a set of
mappings in settings.py (around line 826).

And in the mean time should I read up on python? I have some basic C knolage too...

You can certainly do that. There is one good online reference
book that is freely available, that might be of interest to you.
It's called "Dive into Python" by Mark Pilgrim.

See:

http://www.diveintopython.org/

(Do we have an accessible irc client?)

gaim supports IRC and is fairly accessible. The gaim
script has a few extra features that are useful too.

See:

http://live.gnome.org/Orca/GAIM#details

Is it ok if I try planner and rythmbox out first?

Yes indeed.

Thanks!