From: "Mike Gorse" <mgorse mgorse dhs org>
To: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2008 7:12 AM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] I think my installed Ubuntu and Orca is just plain
unstable...

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008, Hermann wrote:

The problem is Gnome-Speech. It does not work with Alsa. All the players
(Totem, Rhythmbox etc.) use Alsa.

gnome-speech leaves output to the synthesizer, so whatever interface the
synthesizer chooses will be used.  Espeak will use ALSA when linked
against Portaudio 19 or OSS when linked against Portaudio 18 as it is in
Ubuntu.

Speech-dispatcher, on the other hand, collects samples from the
synthesizer and plays them itself, so it chooses the interface.