[orca-list] orca and the i-pod

i have just bought a 16 gig i-pod nano.
at the moment i have it connected to my compaq laptop and the laptop is switched on and plugged into the wall socket in my bedroom. i turned the laptop on and ubuntu which is the only operating system on it recognised there was an i-pod connected because when i went down the list of icons, i-pod was spoken. i tried to read the i-pod manual in ubuntu after downloading it from the internet but orca doesn't seem to read pdf files or not by default. i tried to read the manual which comes with my i-pod on my scanner but it doesn't speak very well. i was trying to find information about how long i should have my i-pod on first charge. a lot of electronic equipment which has rechargable batteries tends to advise a tenth or so hour first charge. how long should i charge it for first charge and also now that ubuntu recognises the i-pod as being attached to my laptop does it mean that it is good to go so after my first charge i can just transfer music files straight away using gtkpod or whatever?