Re: [orca-list] A tale of two boxes

I have installed Intrepid several times on the same machine, and Orca sometimes reads those dialogs and sometimes doesn't. So basically I have no idea, but it happens to me too. I had Intrepid installed on the computer and it didn't read them. Then I reinstalled it for other reasons and it worked. And last week I had to reinstall it again and it didn't work. So...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nolan Darilek" <nolan thewordnerd info>
To: "Orca List" <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 2:19 PM
Subject: [orca-list] A tale of two boxes

So this is baffling me and I don't know how to solve it. I have two Intrepid boxen, one my desktop and another my Eee. Both have relatively new and fresh installs of Intrepid. Both are running trunk Orca. On my EEE, however, the shutdown/logout dialogs are accessible, as is the screen lock dialog. This has always been true as far as I remember, since the screen locks when waking from suspend and I've always been able to hear the password prompt. On my desktop, these dialogs don't work and are called inaccessible by orca.

And I can't figure out why this is true. Both are running orca trunk. The orca configs are the same. The .orca directory is stored in my dropbox (http://getdropbox.com) and synced across all my machines, so changes on one should be picked up on another. The laptop has very minimal accessibility configuration. No /root/.orbitrc, no tweaks to /etc/sudoers, nothing. And both are latest Ubuntu.

I've grepped both ~/.gconf directories and see nothing that looks like a GTK modules list. I know there was talk about merging in certain gconf keys to make these programs work, and I don't see these in the .gconf directory on the laptop. And I've read here recently that others have gotten the lock/logout dialogs to work, so I know that it's possible, I just don't know why it works great on my laptop and not at all on my desktop. To my knowledge, they're both running the latest Intrepid with all updates, and again, they've both gotten fresh installs recently.

Thoughts on what I should investigate?