Re: [orca-list] Orca & ubuntu

Hello,
I can't comment on the magnification side of orca, but you may wish to just try a LiveCD with orca on it on your current computer (just using the LiveCD will not do anything to your hard disk unless you do something to it intentionally such as install linux to HD or write a file on the hard disk, etc). There are a number of LiveCDs about, ubuntu can be used as one, OpenSolaris (although strictly Solaris is not Linux it uses gnome and orca), opensuse, etc. This might answer your questions better as to if orca will do what you want, there are some features and ways of doing things supported by orca which none of the windows screen readers do, and vice versa.

As to whether you could use a dell computer with ubuntu pre-installed without any help to get started, I would say hopefully yes as orca is part of gnome and ubuntu uses gnome and unless dell remove orca it should be there (although we can't say what dell will decide to do next). If dell have decided to do something odd making orca unavailable on the default system then you should be able to install orca easily or could do a fresh ubuntu install from a CD which would be accessible. Also remember linux is not ubuntu, so if having to do a fresh install then you may find a better linux distribution for your needs (these may also be accessible to install).

Michael Whapples