Re: [orca-list] Orca & ubuntu

Hi,

I am a completely blind person, so I'm not much of a help on magnification, however, I can tell you that it is simple enough to get ubuntu up and rinning. Also, you can use the vibuntu distribution as well.

If you wish to try out ubuntu. you can use the wubi installer to install it like any windows application, and you'll esentually have a linux system allongside your windows. In that setup, you can test ubuntu with magnification. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Wright" <justrite btopenworld com>
To: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2008 3:07 PM
Subject: [orca-list] Orca & ubuntu

Hello

I'm a visually impaired Windows user and have Zoomtext Xtra from Ai Squared installed on my PC (I use 10x magnification). Although it also comes with a screen reader, I only
use magnification.

I've always been interested in linux but do not know anyone who has a linux box on which I could try out some screen magnification programs. If any of you are familiar with Zoomtext Xtra, could you tell me please how Orca compares with it, in full screen mode?

Some Dell laptops are sold with ubuntu pre-installed. Would Orca run on these "out of
the box"? Would I be able to get it up and running without sighted help?

many thanks

Just