Re: [orca-list] How to change global orca preferences

It works now, thanks a lot. However, may I ask another question yet
please?

Glad it helps!

It's quite surprising and unusual for the newbie I am to look for these
settings in such a directory. Why was this choice made, rather than
putting them in a more usual one, (e.g. /usr/share/orca)?

Moreover, this file I modified seems to be part of the whole orca
package. Therefore, if I upgrade orca later, I will loose the changes I
made to it. Of course not since I'll save them before and then patch the
new /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/orca/settings.py after the upgrade.

In other words, what's the main reason not to have a per-computer
preferences set in addition to the per-user one please?

It was not a purposeful design choice to not do this, but just an omission because nobody ever requested it until now. The beauty of open source, however, is that you can provide a patch. :-) If you work on a patch to support this behavior, we'll definitely take a look at it and work with you to get it in to the source code for a future release.

The best procedure for doing this would be to open an enhancement request at http://bugzilla.gnome.org/ and then apply your patch to that. That way, the request and the discussion around the proposed fix can be archived for future reference.

Thanks!

Will