Re: [orca-list] How to change global orca preferences

Hi Will,

Many thanks for your response in which you wrote:

There is no global preference file for Orca, but you might try
modifying /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/orca/settings.py, where the
python2.4 directory name might differ based upon your distribution
(e.g., it might be python2.5).

It works now, thanks a lot. However, may I ask another question yet
please?

It's quite surprising and unusual for the newbie I am to look for these
settings in such a directory. Why was this choice made, rather than
putting them in a more usual one, (e.g. /usr/share/orca)?

Moreover, this file I modified seems to be part of the whole orca
package. Therefore, if I upgrade orca later, I will loose the changes I
made to it. Of course not since I'll save them before and then patch the
new /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/orca/settings.py after the upgrade.

In other words, what's the main reason not to have a per-computer
preferences set in addition to the per-user one please?

Many thanks. Have a nice day. ChD