Re: [orca-list] Vibuntu the most accessible Ubuntu Linux live cd

Hello,
Interesting to hear your comments as someone coming from Windows, it might be good for people to compare notes so that a "starting distro" can be made and be made even better for that group.

I started switching to linux a number of years ago, before orca came on the scene (gnopernicus was the gnome screen reader but it didn't seem to have the same momentum and I never really got into it as distros didn't tend to be so desktop orientated). This meant I was starting out on the command line after having used windows whilst I was at school. Now my comment would be that to learn how to use speakup took hardly anytime at all (I think I read the speakup docs in slackware and this gave me the basics and I was going with speakup within 5 minutes). Now that was very quick for how to use the screen reader, the problem was when I booted the system I got placed at a bash prompt with a cursor and no more help, what should I do? Now this is the problem of a command line, but this isn't a problem because of me needing to use a screen reader, it would be a problem for anyone with no Linux knowledge being put at that bash prompt.

Now compare this to a gnome desktop: a lot more like windows except some keyboard shortcuts are different and some of the menu structures are different, and some other small differences. Orca whilst it is good and getting better, it is more complicated than trying to use speakup (this is due to the task it is doing).

I also personally feel that the command line is where the real power of Linux lies, although the gnome desktop is not bad for some day to day tasks (eg. I am writing my email in gnome at this very moment, I do use orca with firefox, I do use openoffice for viewing word documents (although sometimes I do use catdoc at the command line), etc).

My question is whether the gnome desktop is the best place to start on Linux, as to gain the full benefit you will have to learn the command line and by just giving you a "windows like" desktop helps you just put off learning that command line?

Any comments, particularly those who have learnt things in a different order to me (IE. my order being windows to Linux bash to gnome).

Michael Whapples