Re: [orca-list] better fluent reading function suggestion, eventhough it will be complex to implement

Hi:

Progress callbacks of this sort are supported by eSpeak and Orca makes use of them in the SayAll functionality. For example, if the user interrupts a SayAll in progress, Orca will attempt to put the caret at the word where the speech was interrupted.

I don't understand completely what you are describing below, though it does sound interesting. Can you describe a specific example, using example text in gedit, specific user actions, and desired spoken output?

Thanks!

Will

Mgr. Janusz Chmiel wrote:
Dear core developers of ORca,

I would like to ask You, if similar algorithms like in Windows SAPI4 or SAPI5 functions is also implemented in Espeak gnome driver oor in The Espeak synthesizer. Which algorithm? That developer could find, which word is being read from The buffer of Espeak synthesizer. The name of this SAPI4 method is
ittsbufnotifysink

This method in SAPI4 synthesizers can give developer The index number of word, which has been pronounced by The synthesizer. So Orca could use similar algorithm so internal pointers in Gedit if is it possible could be placed according to Word, which espeak pronounced at The moment, when user cancelled fluent reading. Now Orca is supporting reading by word or by The sentence. Next choice, which I Am suggesting could have name fluent reading. This function could be supported only in The edit areas of Gedit or other applications, which object model supports algorithms to set The cursor position not only by moving cursor keys or by moving mouse, but also by developer, which could specifi The column and line. Fluent reading choice and it's related algorithms had to watch, The cursor position in The background while user is moving with The cursor. This could be done by using variables, which is Orca using while supporting CTRL+left or right arrow keys or other cursor keys. So fluent reading algorithm could watch those variables. The issue is, if Espeak Gnome driver or Espeak synthesizer in The Linux variant is supporting function, which could return The word position from The buffer which is being pronounced by Espeak.

Thank You for Your analisys and programmers thinking about my suggestion. I will provide You algorithm not written in Python, but i will describe You, how to eliminate carriage returns or other characters, which could cause breaks and pauses while using this new choice of fluent reading function.