[orca-list] Vibuntu 1.1 Realeased!

Vibuntu 1.1 is ready!

The new release of Vibuntu is ready for download! It incorporates several significant improvements over the first version and a handful of small changes. Vibuntu is a remaster of the Ubuntu 8.10 'Intrepid Ibex' live CD customised to the needs of blind and partially sighted users! It is designed to boot from a live cd or USB memory stick, log you in automatically and then start up the Orca screen-reader. Full-screen magnification can then be activated with a simple keystroke.

IMPROVEMENTS...

Firstly I have resolved the problem of Orca not working with applications run with root permissions by following the recommendations posted on the official Orca website: i.e. I created an .orbitrc file for the root user, disabled the gksu keyboard grab and edited the sudoers file. This allows Orca to work with applications like the Ubiquity installer and the Synaptic Package Manager etc. However, the recommended way to launch these applications is to open a terminal by pressing 'Ctrl+Shift+t' and then typing the name of the application e.g. 'sudo ubiquity'. The reason for this is that launching these applications from the panel menus or desktop icons produces inconsistent results. In other words sometimes Orca works and sometimes it doesn't. Finding a way to solve this problem is still my top priority.

Secondly I have now merged the 2D and 3D versions of Vibuntu into a single .iso image. Vibuntu will now boot into the standard 2D magnification mode by default, however you can enable/disable the 3D magnification by simply clicking on a

desktop icon or menu entry. This means that you can try the 3D version without any risk of major problems because if it doesn't work or crashes the display you can simply disable the 3D effects or restart your xserver by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Backspace'.

Some minor improvements include Braille support being enabled at boot, a slightly larger red mouse pointer to enhance its visibility on both dark and light backgrounds, some new keybindings to open a terminal 'Ctrl+Shift+t', to open the home directory 'Ctrl+Shift+h', to toggle window maximisation 'Ctrl+Shift+m' and to toggle fullscreen mode 'Ctrl+Shift+f'.

DOWNLOAD...

The new release is available from the following URL:

http://www.rnc.ac.uk/mct/linux/vibuntu/Vibuntu-1.1.zip

Inside the zip file you will find iso image and a text file containing the md5sum of the iso image (not the zip file).

The image should also be available at Osvaldo La Rosa's blinuxman.net mirror within the next 24 hours:

http://vibuntu.blinuxman.net/ or http://blinuxman.net/vibuntu/

Osvaldo has also kindly set up a homepage for Vibuntu at:

http://blinuxman.net/projects/vibuntu.php

INFORMATION...

You can use Vibuntu as a live CD, a portable operating system on a USB memory stick (Using Unetbootin) or you can install it

to your hard drive either alongside or as a replacement for Windows. In order to fit all of the accessibility settings on the CD I have had to remove some applications including: The GIMP graphical image manipulation program, the F-Spot photo-manager, Gnome Games and the Ekiga voice over IP package. You can easily reinstall these and many more open-source applications if you choose to install it on your hard-drive. I used the RemasterSys package to create Vibuntu and I have included this package on the CD in case you want to make your own customised live CD. N.B. The default username and password is 'orca', and this will be retained even if you install it to your hard-drive, no matter what you type in during the installation process. (You can change this by typing 'sudo passwd orca' into a terminal and then typing the new password twice)

As always I would of course appreciate any feedback on Vibuntu.  Post any feedback: good, bad or just plain ugly on this thread.

KEYSTROKES...

What follows is a list of keystrokes you can use to control the screen-reader and magnification software. I will only provide a few basic keystrokes for Orca to get you started as they are all listed in the preferences window and are unchanged from the default settings. I have provided an exaustive list of the magnification/display keystrokes as I have customised them to make them easier to remember!

ORCA...

Open Preferences Window: insert+space

Open Main Menu: alt+F1

Move Through Menu/Text: up, down, left and right

Move Through Form: tab, shift+tab

Toggle Voice On/Off: insert+s

Quit Orca: insert+q

BASIC 2D MAGNIFICATION...

Toggle Magnification On/Off: insert+m

Increase Magnification: insert+(plus)

Decrease Magnification: insert+(minus)

ADVANCED 3D MAGNIFICATION...

Zoom In: win+z (win+left-mouse)

Zoom Out: win+x (win+right-mouse)

Zoom x1: win+1

Zoom x2: win+2

Zoom x4: win+3

Toggle Magnifier Box: win+m

Zoom In Magnifier Box: ctrl+left-mouse

Zoom Out Magnifier Box: ctrl+right-mouse

Resize Window: win+r

Zoom To Window: win+w

ADVANCED 3D MOVEMENT...

Pan Right: win+right

Pan Left: win+left

Pan Up: win+up

Pan Down: win+down

Lock Zoomed Window: win+l

Centre Mouse Pointer: win+c

Toggle Highlight Mouse Pointer: win+h

ADVANCED 3D COLOURS...

Toggle Invert Colours: win+i

Toggle Invert Window Colours: shift+win+i

Toggle Filter Colours: win+f

Toggle Window Filter Colours: shift+win+f

Switch Filter Colours: win+s

Decrease Window Brightness: win+(minus)

Increase Window Brightness: win+(plus)

Decrease Window Saturation: shift+win+(plus)

Increase Window Saturation: shift+win+(minus)

Toggle Dim Inactive Windows: win+d

GNOME...

Open a Terminal: ctrl+shift+t

Open the Home Directory: ctrl+shift+h

Toggle Window Maximisation: ctrl+shift+m

Toggle Full-screen Mode: ctrl+shift+f

This list of keystrokes will automatically load into Gedit when Vibuntu boots!

Confidentiality: This e-mail and its attachments are intended for the above named only and may be confidential. If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone: please reply to this e-mail and highlight the error to the sender.

Security Warning: Please note that e-mail has been created in the knowledge that the Internet e-mail is not a 100% secure communication medium. We advise that you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us.

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, we advised that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.