Re: [orca-list] problem with gnome-speech in intrepid?

Guy Schlosser wrote:
Hi all, is there a problem with gnome-speech in intrepid?  I upgraded to
intrepid on a machine that does not have speech-dispatcher installed,
and have no speech.  I tried to reinstall orca, but according to a
sighted friend of mine, the orca window is there, but silent.  I had him
quit orca, and reload it, and I got an error in the terminal that said
"unable to establish connection with speech."  Any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions.

If you were using Speech Dispatcher before, Orca is most likely still
configured to use it.  You can either install Speech Dispatcher again or
switch to Gnome Speech by manually editing your .orca/user-settings.py.
 I believe that commenting out the lines with 'speechServerFactory' and
'speechServerInfo' should do the trick.  Ideally, Orca should detect
such situations and switch to next available speech service
automatically if possible.

Best regards, Tomas