[orca-list] problem with gnome-speech in intrepid?

Hi all, is there a problem with gnome-speech in intrepid? I upgraded to intrepid on a machine that does not have speech-dispatcher installed, and have no speech. I tried to reinstall orca, but according to a sighted friend of mine, the orca window is there, but silent. I had him quit orca, and reload it, and I got an error in the terminal that said "unable to establish connection with speech." Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions.

Thanks,

Guy