Re: [orca-list] Orca keynames
- From: Willie Walker <William Walker Sun COM>
- To: Jochen Skulj <jochen jochenskulj de>
- Cc: orca <orca-list gnome org>
- Subject: Re: [orca-list] Orca keynames
- Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:26:52 -0400
I just started to update the German translation of Orca but I've got
problems in understanding the meaning of following keynames:
Thanks for your hard work!
- multi key: I am not sure which key is meant. I found a Wikipedia
article  which says that the compose key is also known as a multi
key. Reading this I would assume that the multi/compose key is a special
key which is only found on Sun or DEC keyboards, but not on ÂtypicalÂ PC
I think you are correct. The "Compose" key on my Sun keyboard, but not
my PC keyboard. xmodmap shows it is mapped to "Multi_key" in my Sun
keymap, and xmodmap on Ubuntu shows "Multi_key" doesn't exist in the
default keymap on Ubuntu.
- mode switch: from my point of view there are different keys for
switching modes like Shft, Alt or Crtl. I don't know if one of these
keys is meant or if there is a separate mode switching key which I don't
On my Sun keyboard, this is mapped to the physical key that is labelled
"Alt Graph" and it is bound to Mod 3. I cannot find what it it mapped
to on my Ubuntu box.
- home key: the home key is the opposite to the end key . I assume
that the home key is the same key as Pos1. Is this correct or is there a
difference between the home and Pos1 key?
I believe Home == Pos1 for the German layout.
- begin key: I haven't found anything about a begin key. Is this the
same key as Pos1 or is there a difference?
This is usually bound to the keypad 5 key (try "xmodmap -pk | grep -i
begin"). I have no clue what it does.
Thanks for your work!
Orca-list mailing list
Orca-list gnome org
Visit http://live.gnome.org/Orca for more information on Orca
] [Thread Prev