Re: [orca-list] accessible login instructions

Here's the rough draft of what I will try to add to the Wiki if I can figure it out *grin*.  Let me know if it is ok and if I made mistakes, need to make changes, etc.
------------------------------
Please read through these instructions completely before attempting them. Thanks to aerospace1028 for these instructions.  These instructions are for Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy.
Step 1: edit gdm.conf-custom

The first step is to put the appropriate definitions in the gdm custom configuration file.  In Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy this is located at /etc/gdm/gdm.conf.
Note that the keys must appear in the correct section of the file.  A sample of all keys and their default values may be found in gdm.conf, located in the same directory as gdm.conf-custom.
To enable accessible login, we only need to add two keys to the daemon section of the /etc/gdm/gdm.conf-custom file.  To select the lines you need, hold shift and press down arrow twice.  Then press CTRL+c to copy them to your clipboard.  The two lines you need are:
GtkModulesList=gail:atk-bridge:/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libdwellmouselistener:/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libkeymouselistener
AddGtkModules=true
When you have coppied the two lines above to your clipboard, open a terminal.  Press alt-f1 to open the menu, down to enter the Applications menu.  At this point, you should hear "Accessories".  Press right arrow, then up arrow until you heard the word "terminal" then press enter.  IN a second you should hear Orca announce that you are in a terminal.  type the following:
sudo vi /etc/gdm/gdm.conf-custom
When you press enter, Orca will start reading the contents of the /etc/gdm/gdm.conf-custom file.  Press escape to silence speech and to make sure you are in VI's command mode.  Use down arrow to navigate through the file until you come to the line that reads:
[daemon]
When you find this line, press down arrow one more time to get Below it.  Then, press shift i which will put you in insert mode at the very beginning of the line.  Press shift-f10 to open a context menu.  Use the arrow keys to move down to "paste" and press enter.  The two lines you had in your clipboard will now be pasted into the file.  Press escape to get out of insert mode and back into command mode.
To double check your work, your /etc/gdm/gdm.conf-custom file should now read as follows from the daemon to the security line.
[daemon]

GtkModulesList=gail:atk-bridge:/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libdwellmouselistener:/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libkeymouselistener
AddGtkModules=true

[security]
Don't worry if there are more or fewer blank lines in your file.  It's the text that counts.  When you are saticified that everything is as it should be, you need to save your changes.  To do so, type the following:
:wq
when you press enter, VI will exit and you should hear your prompt again.  Leave your terminal window open though, there's a few more things to do.  You can switch between your terminal and browser window by pressing alt tab.

Step 2: update gdm

Now we must tell gdm about the changes we are requesting.  To do this, we use the gdmflexiserver command.  As before there are two lines, use shift down arrow to select them and CTRL+c to copy them.  The lines you need are:
gdmflexiserver --command="UPDATE_CONFIG daemon/AddGtkModules"
gdmflexiserver --command="UPDATE_CONFIG daemon/GtkModulesList"
Now, alt tab back to your terminal window and press shift-f10 and arrow down to paste.  Press enter.

Step 3: giving the gdm group audio permissions

Now, so orca can speak during login, we need to add gdm to the approved users of sound. In your terminal window, type
vi/etc/group
When you press enter you will once again hear Orca start to read a file.  Press escape to make sure you are in command mode. Use the down arrow key to locate the line starting with audio.  Listen to the line or navigate through it letter by letter (right arrow) to see if it contains ,gdm.  IF it does not contain ,gdm, press shift A to enter append mode at the end of the line.  Note in the next line there is a comma at the beginning.  It will need to be typed exactly as shown for it to work.  Type the following line exactly as shown:
,gdm
Press escape to get back into command mode.  Type
:wq
to save your changes and exit VI.
By default, when activated through the steps above, pressing and holding The following keys at the login prompt will start Orca:
CTRL+s for one second will launch orca with speech.
CTRL+m for one second will launch orca in magnification mode.
CTRL+g or CTRL+o held for one second will launch orca with both speech and magnification.
Step 4: [optional] customize login functions.
Located in the same directory as gdm.conf and gdm.conf-custom is a subdirectory "modules."  The files modules/AccessKeyMouseEvents and modules/AccessDwellMouseEvents control the different "gestures" allowed during login.  The headers of these files should adequately explain their modification and use.
Notes:
1:  If you make a typing error while in VI, you can close the file without saving by pressing escape and typing:
:q!
(notice the bang! after the q)
2: All other documentation (including the default Ubuntu help) direct the user to look for these files in /etc/X11/gdm/.
3: One may optionally modify the gdm.conf file directly, but I would recommend making a back-up for recovery and reference of default settings.
4: the gdm configuration files indicate that "gdm-restart" is another possible method for reloading gdm's settings, but by default under Ubuntu, gdm-restart provides the "command not found" message.