Re: [orca-list] accessible login instructions

Thanks! That's exactly what I need :-)
Robin

-----Original Message-----
From: orca-list-bounces gnome org
[mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of
aerospace1028 hotmail com
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 9:57 PM
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] accessible login instructions

greetings,

here's the modified instructions encorperating the feedback
from Stormdragon.

P.S. I apppologize for forgeting to modify the subject line
when replying to digest mode.

:-)

The below are the steps I used to enable accessible login
under Ubuntu 8.04.  Note that specific requirements and file
locations might vary from one platform to another.

Step 1: edit gdm.conf-custom:

The first step is to put the appropriate definitions in the
gdm custom configuration file.  In Ubuntu 8.04 this is
located at /etc/gdm/gdm.conf. (1)

If you have not made any modifications to this file before,
it will most likely consist of a commented header section
followed by eight empty sections (daemon, security, xdmcp,
gui, greeter, chooser, debug and servers).

The general syntax for modifying the gdm custom configuration
file is =.  Note that the keys must appear in the correct
section of the file.  A sample of all keys and their default
values may be found in gdm.conf, located in the same
directory as gdm.conf-custom. (2)

To enable accessible login, we only need two keys located in
the daemon section.  Below is the text extracted from the
gdm.conf file showing the two keys.

# Launch the greeter with an additional list of colon
separated GTK+ modules. # This is useful for enabling
additional feature support e.g. GNOME # accessibility
framework. Only "trusted" modules should be allowed to
minimize # security holes #AddGtkModules=false # By default,
these are the accessibility modules.
#GtkModulesList=gail:atk-bridge:/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libdw
ellmouselistener:/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libkeymouselistener

To enable accessible login, the "AddGtkModules" key must be
set to true, and the "GtkModulesList" key must be
uncommented.  You can copy and paste the key assignments
directly from gdm.conf to gdm.conf-custom, or type them in
manually: just be sure to place them between the lines that
say "[daemon]" and "[security]."  Afterwards, your
gdm.conf-custom file should look like:

[daemon]

# Launch the greeter with an additional list of colon
separated GTK+ modules. # This is useful for enabling
additional feature support e.g. GNOME # accessibility
framework. Only "trusted" modules should be allowed to
minimize # security holes AddGtkModules=true # By default,
these are the accessibility modules.
GtkModulesList=gail:atk-bridge:/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libdwe
llmouselistener:/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libkeymouselistener

[security]

[xdmcp]

[gui]

[greeter]

[chooser]

[debug]

[servers]

Step 2: update gdm

Now we must tell gdm about the changes we are requesting.  To
do this, we use the gdmflexiserver command. (3)

The general form of this command would be

Gdmflexiserver --command="UPDATE_CONFIG /"

With regards with the above changes to "AddGtkModules" and
"GtkModules" list--both in the daemon section--the commands would be:

$gdmflexiserver --command="UPDATE_CONFIG
daemon/AddGtkModules" $gdmflexiserver
--command="UPDATE_CONFIG daemon/GtkModulesList"

Step 3: giving the gdm group audio permissions

Now, so orca can speak during login, we need to add gdm to
the approved users of sound.  In the /etc/group file, locate
the line starting with audio and append ", gdm" to the list
if it is not already there.  Note that there is a comma (,)
preceding gdm.  If you find that the list of groups allowed
to use audio resources is delimited by something other than a
comma, you should probably conform to the pre-existing pattern.

Step 4: [optional] customize login functions.

Located in the same directory as gdm.conf and gdm.conf-custom
is a subdirectory "modules."  The files
modules/AccessKeyMouseEvents and
modules/AccessDwellMouseEvents control the different
"gestures" allowed during login.  The headers of these files
should adequately explain their modification and use.

By default, when activated through the steps above, pressing
and holding CTRL+s for one second at the login prompt will
launch orca with speech enabled.  Also, pressing and holding
CTRL+m for one second will launch orca in magnification mode,
while the key combinations CTRL+g or CTRL+o held for one
second will launch orca with both speech and magnification.

NOTES:

1: All other documentation (including the default Ubuntu
help) direct the user to look for these files in /etc/X11/gdm/.

2: One may optionally modify the gdm.conf file directly, but
I would recommend making a back-up for recovery and reference
of default settings.

3: the gdm configuration files indicate that "gdm-restart" is
another possible method for reloading gdm's settings, but by
default under Ubuntu, gdm-restart provides the "command not
found" message.