Re: [orca-list] SWT (Standard Widget Toolkit) for Java platform accessibility

Hello,
What's the reason for wanting to use swing or SWT?

I ask this because the following may wish to be considered.

If it is to achieve cross platform accessibility in one single tandalone
package, then I am not sure that this will achieve it fully (unless one
package for each platform is made). As far as I know, SWT creates native
widgets for the platform, so I would suspect that you need to have the
version of SWT for the platform (unless it includes all required stuff
for each platform). Eclipse has separate distributions for Windows,
Linux and so on. As for swing, if it were not stand alone (IE requires a
java VM already installed) then you can achieve cross platform
accessibility as all the platform specific stuff (VM,access bridge, etc)
are already provided. If though you are going for stand alone, again
different platform distributions need to be made including the
appropriate java VM, and for accessibility don't forget to include the
appropriate access bridge in the bundled VM.

Now considering the above, I know some software does have java
installers, oracle products are one and I think netbeans is another. I
don't know if they are using a standard installer system or if it is a
custom installer to those particular packages. Certainly oracle's
installer reminds you of the importance of needing to include the
appropriate access bridge with the bundled VM, as when the installer
uses its bundled VM and no access bridge is in that bundle it will be
inaccessible regardless of any other access bridge on the system.

Michael Whapples