Re: [orca-list] Ubuntu accessible install is now here, from CD boot.

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:11:39PM EST, Hermann wrote:
am Mi 23. Apr 2008 um 14:42:16 schrieb Luke Yelavich <themuso ubuntu com>:
I am proud to announce that finally, there is an easy way to use the Ubuntu gui installer, ubiquity, with
orca. The instructions below will get you from CD boot, to a totally accessible installer in a matter of
minutes. No longer will you have to boot the live CD, and do several hacks just to get access to the
installer.

Booting and using the installer.
1. Insert the CD into your computer's CD drive, and boot as normal.
2. When the CD boots, unlike previous versions of Ubuntu, a list of languages will be shown, with the
default as English. You need to either press enter, or somehow select the language you want with the
arrow keys, and then press enter. Once you have done this, you will then have access to the CD boot menu,
and the accessibility profiles.

How to do that without sighted assistance? It would be better to have a
prompt where to insert the countries code, for example: de for Germany, fr
for france etc.

Considering that many other users besides us have to use the CD, a graphical menu makes somewhat more sense,
so even if I'd asked for such a thing, I doubt it would have been granted.

3. At this point, you can either boot into the live CD and the desktop, or boot directly into the
installer. To boot into the installer, press the down arrow once, then press F5, and select the
accessibility profile you want. Then press enter once again to star the bootup process.

Again: How to do that blindly? And what accessibility profiles are
available, and which one do we screen reader users need?

There are 6 profiles to choose from. They are:
1. High contrast - This simply sets up a large mouse pointer, and chooses a high contrast theme for the
dsektop.
2. Magnification - This enables orca with the magnifier.
3. Speech - This enables Orca with speech.
4. Braille - This enables orca with braille. Note that there is another prompt to set up braille displays
that are not USB connected, i.e usb to serial adapters, and serial/bluetooth displays. My suggestion is to
boot with speech, and enable braille that way at this stage.
5. Keyboard adjustments - For people who have minor motor disabilities, this enables things like sticky keys.
6. On-screen keyboard - This loads an on-screen keyboard for those wwho can only use a pointing device to
control the computer.

So if you wanted the speech profile, you would boot the CD, press enter for language, choose whether you
wanted to boot the installer or the live Desktop, press F5, then press down arrow 3 times.

Note. When you boot into the installer, the desktop is not loaded at all, however the orca window will be
accessible, if the profile you have chosen uses orca in any way. Once the installer has loaded, you will
find that focus is already on the installer window. You can quit the installer if you wish. Doing so will
then send you into the live Desktop, with orca loaded, as normal.

BTW.: Did you think about providing install scripts, as we know them from
Window's unattended installation? They may come for the alternate install
CD to accomplish the accessibility for those who don't have a braille
display or if their display isn't connected via USB.

One could do this, however everybody's partitioning needs are different, and these aren't so much scripts as
settings files. Have a look in the preseed directory on the CD to see what I mean.

And finally: From which CDs is it usable, the release or the daily builts?

Currently only the daily builds, but it will be on the final hardy release.

Luke