Re: [orca-list] math

Thank you, Michael, for your informative reply.

First of all you mentioned about using openoffice writer to edit/read
math, I don't think this is good/possible.

I'm sorry, I don't think I was clear on what i was doing.  I was just testing out the formual editor.  I know
I've had problems accessing the equation editor in MSWord.  The ability to use the editor to incert simple
equations (like I used to do at school for lab reports) is a little improved over my MSWord experience, but
in either case I can't validate the result.  My suspicion was that this was do to the manner in which the
"equation editors" in bedded the resulting equation editor data (I'm not sure how they do it, i just guessed
it wasn't a manner easily compatible with AT).

Something you may wish to
consider, and you may prefer it also for doing any document is the LaTeX
type setting language.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that i did look at latex.  It is helpful in generating reports and such with math,
but I still don't have the capacity to validate that the math that is being written is the same math I
intended to write.  After I get more familiar with it, it'll get better, but whenI'm still learning
something, I like the safety-net of double-checking my output.

So while access is not great to math on Linux, I would say access to
math in general isn't great ...

Which in general is what i've been experimenting with.  Just seeing if what i'd been able to find was the
general capability available.  I realize the concept of providing access to mathematical information can be
tricky.  My general impression is that mathml would be the easiest to plug into--with some sort of
mathml-to-Nemith Braille conversion.  But it'd be a matter of if enough material used mathml for it to be the
most viable tool.

You may also wish to discuss some of this stuff on the NFB blindmath
mailing list as there are certainly Linux users there as well (in fact
some of them, me included, are here as well).

Thank you.  I'll check that out.

:-)
Spell a grand slam in this game where word skill meets World Series. Get in the game.
http://club.live.com/word_slugger.aspx?icid=word_slugger_wlhm_admod_april08