[orca-list] math

Greetings,

I would like to inquire about Orca's ability to read math.  I know it depends greatly on how the math is encoded.  But I've been playing around with ubuntu and orca for a little while now and I haven't been able to get orca to hand math.

In open office writer, I can manipulate the formula editor, but this seams to generate a "object" in the document.  Orca announces the existence of the object (like in the maxwell files under the example folder), but I can't find how to access the substance of the "object" itself.

I've also played around with acroread and pdf files containing equations and the support seems to be about the same as in Windows.  My understanding is, PDF's tend to be more oriented toward the layout over the content, and as a result have trouble comunicating things like equations (especially with fractions) to screen-readers.

I also remember seeing something about mathml in this list a few weeks ago.  I never really got mathml to work well in windows and haven't been able to test it with orca.

If anyone has any knowledge about orcas current/future math support capacity it would be greatly apreciated.

Thank you:-)

Use video conversation to talk face-to-face with Windows Live Messenger. Get started!