[orca-list] sound and movies in ubuntu

i am wanting to use sound and movies in ubuntu but i have a few questions. i am using the hardy heron beta and i thought i might be able to sort out the problem of orca tying up my sound card but i can't seem to be able to resolve it and the chap who has looked at my computer who knows linux better than me as he is one of the huddersfield lot couldn't seem to be able to get even the default player to play simple music of tracks i had taken from some music cds i have let alone do other stu! like movies. in trying to alter the setting in gnome preferences from default we either lost speech or lost the ability to play music. also when downloading codecs ie g streamer or whatever, how do you know you have the rights for using them as you are not told in ubuntu. also how do you get them without using the graphical package manager? also i am downloading a torrent of a movie using i think it is called transfer in the hardy beta but it doesn't seem to tell me how much progress i have to go when downloading this movie. all i can do is get the download and upload speeds so i don't know how long it is going to take for me to download "thinner" and i only managed to get the transfer rates by using something like 7 and 9 on the desktop keypad after navigating the menu icons with orca.
hope someone can answer my questions.