Re: [orca-list] Table headers and coordinates in braille

am Do 10. Apr 2008 um 15:02:52 schrieb Jason White <jason jasonjgw net>:
[...]
A question to other users: how, ideally, should tables be presented in
braille?

I can think of various possibilities, but let's hear from others first.

One possibility is to create a "structured mode", known from Jaws. In this
case all the information of the actual cell is presented in one row on the
display. It should be possible to temporarily switch to that mode, or
activate it permanently in applications where it seems useful.

I would be interested in the opinions of others, but in general I don't like
the idea of having multiple modes. Instead, I would suggest the following:

Whenever table navigation commands are issued, display the cell contents in
braille, as now. If the previous line BRLTTY command is used, display the
headers and the line/column position. If the next line command is used while
displaying the headers, go back to the cell content.

If the focus is moved by a navigation command other than a table navigation
command, just display the cell content, on the basis that the user is
navigating the content as text that happens to be laid out in a table, not as
a table structure.

But isn't that a specific mode too? It also requires switching the braille
presentation to different layouts. So what's the difference?

Mapping the table navigation commands to BRLTTY commands would also be
possible, so that the keyboard wouldn't need to be used.

Is this possible in Orca? As far as I've understood Orca's braille concept
it follows the brltty commands, so there are no unique braille comands
from inside Orca.
Hermann