To: "David E. Price" <deprice cs utah edu>
Cc: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2007 1:15 PM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Orca dialogs not available after logging in

I agree that this is a bug, but I think it is more of a desktop bug than an Orca bug -- the desktop should come up with *something* with focus. Have you tried pressing Ctrl+Alt+Tab to force the desktop icons to get focus?

To work around this problem on startup, you can add an application (e.g., gnome-terminal, pidgin, any other application you would typically use when you login) to the start up programs of gnome-session-properties.

Will

From: "Willie Walker" <William Walker Sun COM>

It may be that nothing has focus when you first log in. As a result of this, the AT-SPI infrastructure is unable to capture any keyboard events, resulting in Orca not knowing anything is happening. :-(

If you press Alt+Tab, do you get any speech?
I think you are correct. Alt-Tab gets no speech. If I go to the top panel (Alt-F1) and then hit escape, I am similarly without speech on Alt-Tab and I cannot launch the Orca dialogs. However, if I hit Alt-F1 and give the top panel focus, I can launch the Orca dialogs.

To me, this looks like a bug, but I'm not sure for whom. If the Orca main window is not open, can focus be passed from Orca to the desktop? Or, would this cause problems for focusing other applications that are launched on startup?

Thanks,

dave