Re: [orca-list] the inevitable newby questions

On 23 Oct, Rusty Perez <rustys lists gmail com> wrote:

Anyway, that out of the way. I've got gutsy running on a little old
machine about 450 mhz, not sure how much ram.

First off, espeak seems to studder sometimes. Is that just my slow
machine or can something be done about this?

eSpeak should be OK on a 450 MHz processor.  I also run it here OK on a
200 MHz ARM processor.  But if other programs are taking all the
processor power, then that may be the problem.

Also, is there any way to use a speech synth which is a little easier
on the ears.

You may get used to it :-)
I regularly listen to the eSpeak "en" voice for an hour, reading news
articles and blog entries.