Re: [orca-list] Cannot use my Braille display with Orca... screen not in text mode.

To enable braille support in orca, do one of the following:
1. switch to a text console (eg. ctrl+alt+f1), log in if not already
done so in that console, and issue the command "orca -t" without the
quote marks. It will now give a list of set up options for orca.
Alternatively,
2. From within the gnome desktop while orca is running, press numpad-0
+space (assuming desktop layout is being used). Tab round to the "tab
list", and use cursor keys to select braille. Now tab to the enable
braille support check box and press space to check it (if not checked).
Tab round to "OK" or "apply" button and press space to activate the
button.

Now whenever brltty is running and orca loads, braille should be output
(if setting this using method 2, then braille support starts when you
press space on the "apply" or "OK" buttons).

Did you get brltty to start automatically? If not, I think in ubuntu the
script is set up that it might have a line near the beginning which
contains the command "exit", and near by a comment saying that you need
to comment out the line to allow brltty to load, do this by inserting a
"#" sign in front of the line the comment is referring to. I am not
fully sure whether this is the issue or not, as I don't use ubuntu now
and distros have differences in this area. The command
"/etc/init.d/brltty restart" is for restarting brltty (so new settings
which are set at startup are reloaded).

From
Michael Whapples