[orca-list] Problems updating Orca

Hi everyone. I'm a complete beginner with Linux and am experimenting with Opensuse 10.2. I currently have Orca version 1.0 which came as part of Opensuse 10.2, but would like to upgrade Orca to 2.20.0 which I understand is the latest version. I am using the GCC compiler version 4.1. My problem is as follows:

Having downloaded and extracted the orca-2.20.tar.gz file, I try to run the ./configure shell script from the Orca subdirectory. Everything seems to work correctly until the script checks for Python headers which it says I need to compile the parts of Orca written in Python. The script tells me it cannot find these headers and then aborts. I have Python 2.5 installed, but am having difficulty installing the development libraries which I understand contain the header files. I believe the library I need is called Python_Devel which is described as 'Include files essential for development'. When I try to install this, however, the Yast installer I am using says it cannot continue because installing this package would invalidate another package already on my system.

I would be very grateful to hear from anyone who can explain which files I need and exactly what I need to do to update Orca to the latest version.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Kind regards,

John Robisnon

___________________________________________________________ All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html