Re: [orca-list] Updating Orca

You possibly do want to update orca (I don't know what version is in
ubuntu as I don't use it), although you may want to ask yourself some
questions first if updating orca from source code concerns you.
1. Is there a problem with the version you have which affects you?
2. Is it fixed in a later version?
If yes to both of those then you have very good reasons to update. I
believe there are instructions on the orca wiki for ubuntu
(http://live.gnome.org/Orca sorry I don't have the exact page for the
instructions). Two things to remember. If when you type make and you get
an error then stop there and ask for assistance on the error you get
(don't just do make install). I don't know if it is possible to do a
separate install (so you can keep your old version of orca as well as
the new one (reason being should something be wrong with the new version
you can always go back, if you weren't to do this, how would you access
your computer?), anyone know how to have two versions installed if
possible?

Compiling shouldn't be a problem for you if you follow the instructions
available, and in linux if you want the very latest then you will need
to do compiling regularly, so you need to start somewhere.

From
Michael Whapples