[orca-list] problems booting into linux from an external hard drive

Hi.

I just installed Ubuntu 7.04 from the live CD onto an external USB 40-gig hard drive, which is plugged into my Windows XP desktop computer.  I think the installation went okay, but I don't know how to boot into this extra hard drive.  Is it possible to do this by inserting the live CD and issuing some commands?  For a while, I thought I'd erased my XP hard drive by mistake, because I had so much trouble getting back into Windows after the installation.  I chose the extra hard drive because someone on one of the lists said thas method was preferable to dual-booting if you wanted to install Linux on a Windows system.  Thanks in advance.

Beth Wright