[orca-list] having trouble shutting down Linux

Hi, folks.

As I wrote in my post yesterday, thanks to your help, I was able Orca up and running on my live Ubuntu 7.10 CD.  I don't think this the absolute latest version, but I assume it's relatively up-to-date.  Well, after I'd had fun exploring the desktop, I ran into trouble trying to shut down Linux.  I'd read all kinds of information on shutdown commands, but it's all contradictory and none of it seems to work for me.  I tried alt-contrl-delete, poweroff, "shutdown -h now" -- well, nothing happens.  At least it must be pretty stable.  I have a feeling I'm missing a few crucial steps, but I can't seem to locate them in the documentation I've read.  I'd very much appreciate some tips before I break something.

Beth Wright