[orca-list] Want your opinion on the removal of "Close" buttons on some dialog windows

Hi All:

Members of the GNOME team are considering removing the "Close" buttons on many dialogs in GNOME. For example, almost all of the GNOME Preferences windows -- Appearance Preferences, Keyboard Preferences, AT Preferences, etc. -- have this "Close" button.

The discussion on this subject is here:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-themes-list/2007-November/msg00000.html

"I wanted to investigate if we could get rid of all our Close-buttons in some windows, since every window have a big close button in the top right corner anyway. (therefore less clutter) A big stopper for this was apparently the highcontrast themes, where the close button in the corner hit target is pretty small apparently."

If the "Close" button were removed, you'd have to remember to press Alt+F4 (or Alt+Space and then navigate to the menu item) to close a window. Escape may also work. I personally think this might be too much to remember (I like "Close" buttons), and can also leave you wondering if any changes you made in the window were saved or lost as a result of pressing Alt+F4.

Anyhow, your thoughts on this would be appreciated. If you're strongly for or against the idea, please provide a constructive comment for why.

Thanks!

Will