[orca-list] Setting up a dual boot with Ubuntu & XP

Hi everyone,

Yes!!! I actually got the live CD to boot with Orca running. The problem was that when my CD drive first spins up, it only spins for about 2 seconds. My Compaq machine has three very loud fans on it, so I was totally missing that spin up time.

Anyhow, after playing with the live CD for the past couple of days, I would really like to install the operating system as a whole. However, I only have one internal drive, and one USB2.0 external drive And, my external drive already has data on it, since I have been using it as a back-up drive from my Windows XP.

Can I easily install Ubuntu on this external drive, or is it safe to partition my Windows drive, and place the Ubuntu on it? Using the Ubuntu installer from the live CD, how would I go about making sure I set up a dual boot system, and be able to boot in to either XP or Ubuntu? I am also not opposed to just buying a new internal drive for this purpose.

Since I am totally blind, and don't have sighted help right at hand, I am very nervous about trying this, as I do not want to hose my windows installation. Any advice, or well written documents, would be appreciated.

Thanks.

~Ann