[orca-list] Unable to start working with Orca

Hi guys,

my machine which runs Ubuntu/Edgy in conjunction with Orca is back and I
tried the whole day getting used to work with Orca, but unfortunately I
cannot succeed. Seems as if nothing works today or I am just much too
stupid for the system :-)

First of all, Orca starts and tells me that it switched to focus tracking
mode, which sounds okay to my ears. Pressing ins+numpad-enter results in
telling me just nothing or perhaps it is lambda (the empty word) ;-)

Anyway... alt+f1 or alt+f2 works fine and I can start some applications,
but unfortunately and this is the second point, I am not able to use the
help system. Seems as if the help system uses firefox for displaying
content and I absolutely don't know how to use it. This is pretty bad, for
I like finding out things alone and without a help I am simpoly lost.

I am following this list for some time now and I know, that there are many
people who use Orca, so it obviously works and I would like to participate
using it.

Perhaps some of you will tell me to upgrade my system to the current Ubuntu
release. I would do so, if you can absolutely tell me if a simple apt-get
dist-upgrade will do the job and if afterwards everything will work as
least as it does now, for my cd-rom-drive passed away and I am at the
moment not able to fix the system, if it crashes after a distribution
upgrade.

I got the information how to use Orca (keybindings) from the Orca Wiki for
instance and am absolutely not too lazy reading documents, if you can point
me to some of them, please.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Regards,
/Christian