[orca-list] Problems accessing icons in the top panel notification area

Hi listers,

I am new to the Linux environment and Orca. The transition from Windows to Linux has, for me, been a breeze.
I just have one problem which I hope you can help me solve.

I am using Ubuntu Feisty on a laptop computer which means I use Orcas laptop layout.

When I go to the top panel and locate the Notification area, all I am able to see is the clock, the shutdown
button and the volume control; but a friend told me there were some other icons there too (Gnome network
manager, for instance). So, is there a way to locate these other icons? I have been using flat review mode
(caps-lock+p) and moved character by character (caps-lock+period), but the clock is the last thing I am able
to see. Are there any other strategies for accessing these icons?

I am looking forward to any replies.

All the best,

Peter.