Re: [orca-list] Orca 2.18 on Debian Sid

Hello Erik,

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Erik Heil wrote:

Hi everyone.  I've noticed that Orca hs just became avilable in Sid.  I've
installed it from the Debian apt repository, and ran orca setup.  Flite
speaks fine during the setup process, where I can choose what I want.
Presently, I selected gnome-speech, and it initialized he accessibility
framework. I logged out, then logged back in.  I can tell that Orca
started, b/c I'm greeted by the Welcome to Orca message, at which point,
it switched to focus tracking mode.  Here's the problem though.  After it
switched, Orca is totally unresponsive. i.e. you can't use any review
keys, etc.  Its as if Orca was never started.  Anyone else experience this
on the list?
--Erik

It could still be working. You could try alt+f1, down arrow once, press o and up arrow twice. Press <enter> and, with a bit of luck, you sould be in Open Office Writer, and it should start talking. However, this is not very satisfactory. I've had the problem, and it seems to have something to do with at-spi and which version of Gnome that you're running. You could try doing a dist-upgrade to unstable and see if things improve. As far as I know, not all of Gnome 2.18 is there yet, but it works for me. On the other hand, i've been playing around a bit.

Good luck!

Bertil Smark Nilsson