Re: [orca-list] Desktop sounds in Gnome

Hi Thomas, Glenn,

I've cc-ed both <gnome-accessibility-list gnome org> & <orca-list gnome org>, for the accessibility/screen reader question.
On 23 Mar 2007, at 19:26, Glenn J. Mason wrote:

And that's before even considering accessibility, etc.

I was wondering when someone would bring this up. It doesn't make much sense to me, as you're probably going to be using a screen reader anyway, so you don't need to learn half a dozen different sounds because you already know the spoken word. However, I'm not experienced in this field so it'd be interesting to hear from someone who is.

The big issue here is whether the audio subsystem can properly deal with non-speech audio being generated at the same time as speech. Many screen reader users like to have non-speech audio indicating when various things are happening. Others turn it off.

Perhaps some of the blind gnome users might chime in (excuse the pun) on this.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.