Re: Orca Using orca with espeak

Hello Hermann,

thank you for answering my question. Obviously there are different ways
to solve the problem and I am not quite sure which is the easier way.
Anyway, I started trying to build gnome-speech 0.4.10 from the sources
but, since I'm not very experienced in building software from source
code, I haven't been successful yet. When I execute the ./configure
script it terminates with following error:

checking for ORBIT... configure: error: Package requirements (ORBit-2.0
= 2.3.94) were not met:

No package 'ORBit-2.0' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables ORBIT_CFLAGS
and ORBIT_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

How can I solve this problem?

Thanks, Jochen

hermann schrieb:
Hello Jochen,
you must use Espeak either with Speech-Dispatcher or with the Gnome
speech driver; Espeak as a stand allone version doesn't work with Orca,
neither Edgy nore Feisty.
For Espeak and Speech-dispatcher look here:
http://live.gnome.org/Orca/SpeechDispatcher
For the use with Gnome speech driver you must install the latest version
- 0.4.10 - from the Gnome source page.
To prepare Espeak to be used within the system, do the following:
Change to your Espeak directory and type:
sudo cp -rp espeak-data /usr/share
cd shared_library
sudo cp *.h /usr/include/espeak
Note: If the directory doesn't exist, create it.
sudo cp libespeak* /usr/lib
sudo ldconfig
cd /usr/lib
sudo ln -s libespeak.so.1.1.21 libespeak.so
sudo ln -s libespeak.so.1.1.21 libespeak.so.1
I assume you use the latest Espeak; if not adjust the above commands
accordingly.
To adjust the Speech-Dispatcher config files, visit:
http://www.blindzeln.net/pipermail/pinguin/
select the archive for November 06 and read my two mails from the 24th
of Nov.
Note for other list members: These mails are written in German.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Hermann

--