Re: Orca Another gaim problem

Hi,
I have the latest Gaim that is in Ubuntu feisty and i can't see any
difference in the way it behaves. I had to go to the
.gaim/preferences.xml file to make the buddy list visible, something
which i normally don't want to have since i like to have the program
running in the systray and call it up whenever i need it. Unfortunately
with the latest Orca i can't even get into the notification area. When i
had the volume control in the systray, it was the only icon Orca could
get at and when i removed it thinking this would make way for the Gaim
icon i hit the clock and couldn't get at the gaim icon.
/Krister

Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
Hi Chris.

This is a behavior that seems to have been eliminated in Gaim 2.0 beta,
and perhaps beta 5 -- I'm starting to lose track in my old age. <grin>.
So I'm going to assume you are using Gaim 2.0 beta 3.1 or earlier, in
which case I suggest you make the following changes:

1. You will have a folder called .gaim in your home directory.  In it
there is a file called prefs.xml.  Open it in your favorite text editor
and locate this line:

<pref name="list_visible" type="bool" value="0"/>

Replace the 0 with a 1.

The next time Gaim is launched, the buddy list should be visible and you
can perform the next step:

2. Go to the Tools menu and select Plugins.  Towards the bottom of the
list you should find something called "System Tray Icon".  This is
checked by default.  Uncheck it.  What this thing does is causes Alt F4
to minimize Gaim to the notification area rather than quit it.  Which
brings me to your other question:

You should be able to use Orca flat review commands on the top panel to
get at the icon and use a context menu to restore the buddy list.
Unfortunately, that icon is not labeled which makes it a sort of
hit-or-miss proposition.  Hopefully the above will solve your problems.

Take care.
Joanie