[orca-list] losing speech

Hi all, I am having an interesting issue with Orca and Speech-dispatcher. I have the python modules installed, and speech-dispatcher 0.6.2 installed. I can confirm this by doing spd-say "message", and I get back the message I put in quotes. I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 with only Espeak installed, and every time I go to preferences, and switch the speech system to speech-dispatcher, I lose speech completely. Speech-dispatcher is the system I'd really like to use, because from my experiences with it, it's super-responsive. When I lose speech, I always have to get sighted assistance to get it back. My questions are: Why am I losing speech, and is there something I can do to prevent it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much in advance,

Guy