Re: [orca-list] A question about web browsing.

There are various accessible distros of Linux, Oralux (www.oralux.org) I
believe is aimed at the new comer to linux.

There are others which aren't necessarily designed specifically for the
blind, but have suitable features and software, eg. grml (www.grml.org)
which comes with speakup and software speech, and while being a liveCD
distro can be used to go to a full debian system.

While I know this list is aimed at Orca which is a GUI screen reader and
there may be plenty who disagree with what I will say, I have heard some
argue for a blind person who has never used a computer before, the
command line is easier to learn, and in many cases can be better. I have
to say that I mainly only use gnome for stuff I can't do in the text
console (normally those awful websites that require firefox because of
what I classify as poor design (because they use features so specific to
certain browsers that they are unlikely to work on anything the author
didn't test it with)).

On another note, if you do create a custom distro, you may want to make
it have various user experience levels, eg. those who just want e-mail
or to shop online might either get confused or put off by so many
options when they only need a few, but more experienced computer users
will probably want greater access to the system than options like
"e-mail", "internet", "word processor".

From
Michael Whapples