Re: [orca-list] Slimeline braille display and Feisty

Hello,

we succeeded in getting the Papenmeier display running using brltty 3.8!

After uninstalling brltty 3.7.2 we pretty much stuck to the instructions given at http://live.gnome.org/Orca/Braille, but also installed python-all-dev, libbrlapi1-dev, and python-orca-brlapi-dbg packages.

We also used "brltty -t de" rather than "/bin/brltty -bauto -d/dev/ttyUSB0" to run brltty. The latter only produces what seems to be uncontrolled output, rapidly switching between the standard message (Braillex EL 2D-80s Rev 124) and a mess of special characters (|, @,...).

Also we still need to restart brltty every time after startup and with both braille displays (The other one is a HandyTech Braille Star 40). Any idea why? Yes, we do have Ubuntu installed on the hard disk and it seems to be the same with Edgy and Feisty.

Oh, one more thing: Is there any use for the vertical display with Orca?

Thank you very much for your help. We will also ask this to the Brltty mailing list.

Regards,
Martina

hermann schrieb:
Hello Martina,
in good tradition of Radio Eriwan I answer your questions with other
questions:
Can you use the Papenmeier display in text mode of Ubuntu?
If so, what happens when you restart it manually as you did with Braille
Star and then restart Orca?
Did you try all this with the live CD, or have you Ubuntu installed to
you hard drive?
The necessity of restarting brltty I experienced with the live CD, but
not on my installed version; but I made an upgrade from Edgy.
Perhaps you should ask your questions in the brltty mailing list:
brltty-subscribe mielke cc
(I hope that's the correct address for subscription).
Hermann

--
Martina Weicht

IT Science Center Rügen gGmbH
Circus 14
D-18581 Putbus

Telefon: +49(0)38301 8829-65
Fax:    +49(0)38301 8829-59
E-mail: weicht it-science-center de
Web:    www.it-science-center.de

Geschäftsführer Dipl.-Ing. Ernst Schulte
Handelsregister Amtsgericht Stralsund HRB 6227
USt-Ident-Nummer: DE 244660253