[orca-list] need help updating orca and other issues

Hello,

I downloaded the newest version of orca off the gnome ftp site.  It was the .tar.gz file.  I extracted it onto my desktop using the command tar zxvf orca-2.19.5.tar.gz.  Then I switched to the orca-2.19.5 directory.  I did a ./configure and it did its thing.  It said something at the end about needing to modify some PNG file or something like that, I ignored it and typed make and pressed enter.  It said "No rule specified for make no make file found."  I read the documentation on the orca wiki but it just talks about downloading it from subversion.  Can someone help?  Is there an easier way of updating orca?  I'm a bit flustered and just want to update to the latest version of orca.  I heard it was included in the ubuntu updates, do I need to do something so that when I type sudo apt-get upgrade it will upgrade orca?  I'm using ubuntu feisty fawn in a virtual machine environment in windows.  Also, has anyone come across situations where orca does not respond to keys being pressed?  For example, I'm trying to arrow up and down the application menu.  I can't arrow quickly because orca is still speaking the last item.  I have to wait for it to stop speaking before I can move on and pressing control does not do anything to stop the speach.  In the virtual machine I set it up with 384 megs of ram, have a gig of physical memory.  Sorry for the long message but any help would be welcome.  Thanks,

Mike