Re: [orca-list] gnome-mag cursor focus position

Hi Willie,

I can see how this approach makes sense, especially if you use a low magnification factor (2x, 3x etc.) I use 9x or 10x. The "move the magnifier window the least" is OK for checkboxes, buttons, menus or the caret, although having focused items in the center of the magnifier window would help find them more easily. The problem is with editing text. For example, if you delete a long line of text using Del the cursor will eventually reach the right edge of the magnifier window and you can't see what you are deleting anymore. If you delete text using Backspace the cursor will reach the left edge of the magnifier and you can't see what you're deleting anymore. You can try this with any text editor. I think it is more natural to be able to see the area around your point of focus.

It would be great if you could add the option of keeping focus centered all the time (for cursor, caret, menus, buttons, menus, etc.)

I currently use Windows XP and the built-in magnifier, because magnification doesn't work very reliably for me in Linux right now. But it has come a very long way and I hope I will be able to switch soon. For better illustration of what I've tried to describe you could check out how the Windows magnifier works (if you have access to a Windows system). Just run magnifier.exe, drag it to the bottom of the screen until it docks, drag the upper edge upwards to increase the size of the window and use it with a text editor, browser, navigation by keyboard through menus etc.

Thank you for you help,

Aurelian