Re: [orca-list] Installing Ubuntu

not to worry, everyone started as a noobie at some point :)

the reason why i pointed towards google is that generally people dont
enjoy answering the same questions over and over again, when the
knowledge is easely available.

anyway, mounting
if you wish to mount a partition by hand, then at the prompt:
sudo mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mountpoint

for example i could mount my ntfs partition as follows:
sudo mkdir /mnt/windows
sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows

you need to find out what ubuntu decided to call your hard-drive(s)
either sda or hda
then sda1 means the first partition, sda2 second etc...

if you do:
ls -1 /dev/ | grep sda
and
ls -1 /dev/ | grep hda
the one that displays with numbers is your harddrive.
If you have more than one harddrive then try sdb and hdb

anyway, that was for mounting by hand. If you wanted some partitions to
be mounted every time you started ubuntu, then you need to modify
/etc/fstab

for example to mount a fat32 partition:
/dev/sda2       /mnt/fat32      vfat    0 0

and for an ntfs:
/dev/sda3       /mnt/ntfs       ntfs    0 0

this mounts as read only, to mount ntfs partitions as rewritables need
to install ntfs-3g
sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g

then we could change the line in fstab to:
/dev/sda3       /mnt/ntfs       ntfs-3g 0 0

a lot more information can be found here:

hope this helps, and sorry for posting this to the Orca-list, just
thought maybe someone else might benafit too.

-Jon