Re: [orca-list] Installing Ubuntu

Hello there,

Keeping your old data is fine, as long as you have enough free space on
your hard drive to install ubuntu along side.

Usually windows formats the whole drive as a windows partition (ntfs),
so you might need to resize it to get some free space.
Alternatively if you have a secondary hard drive, which you wish to
install ubuntu onto then this isnt a problem either.

I am not aware of any method of resizing ntfs partitions in windows
using any free tools, on the other hand there is a linux live cd which
can help you with this:

gparted iso located at:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=173828
and look for gparted-livecd-0.3.4-8.iso

Yes, the ubuntu instalation does have a formatting/resizing step in its
installation, but I have been unable to get it to resize ntfs partitions
in the past.

So, burn gparted to cd

reboot, and resize ntfs such that you have free (sometimes called
unallocated) space, at the end of the disk, (probably need a minimum of
3 gigabytes).

Now that you have unallocated space on your harddrive, reboot with the
ubuntu cd, and you can proceed with the installation.
Note, when it comes to the step about where on your hard-drive you wish
to install to, simply choose unallocated space.

by the way, there are excellent tutorials on the ubuntu forums, a quick
search in google yields many results:

dual boot ubuntu

Hope this helps

-Jon